Studying Zoos and Aquariums can be quite interesting but visiting them or having one at your home can have a lot of positive impacts on you as well as on your child. So, why not try visiting one or having it at your home? But do you know what they are actually?
Let’s learn what Zoos are as well as Aquariums.
What is an Aquarium and a Zoo?
A Zoo, also known as a Zoological garden or an animal park or a menagerie is a facility in which animals are kept within the closures of some bars where they are taken care of, displayed to the public, and bred properly so that money can be earned out of them.
The term Zoo is derived from the Greek word “animal’ where animals are cared for.
Aquariums, on the other hand, is an area usually enclosed, where sea animals like a fish, turtle, and other reptiles are taken care of. They are kept closed within the confines of a glass area where they are kept mainly for the purpose of display.
The term, Aquarium or Aquaria, was coined from the Latin term, Aqua, which means water. It was coined by the English naturalist Philip Henry Gosse.
Now, let’s focus on learning more about them.
Benefits of Aquariums
Aquariums are beautiful to look at and are a way to decorate your home so that it looks nice and classy at the same time. They can be a focal point in any room and a gathering place at your house where they increase the beauty of your home.
But along with accentuating the beauty of your home, they also have a variety of other benefits. Given below are some of these benefits:
- An aquarium helps to teach the kids about nature, and caring and helps them understand the importance of having responsibility at their heads.
- Keeping an aquarium in the room of your child can better help him/her to fall asleep at night.
Some More Benefits
- Having an aquarium at home will make the kids and other people curious and make them want to have a look at it which is a lot better than having your eyes stuck at the screen of your mobile phones.
- Having an aquarium at your workplace boosts morale, thus having a positive impact on people that make them want to work more and better than before.
- In our daily lives, where all of us are so busy and have a chaotic lifestyle, it helps us to relax, re-focus, and recharge our batteries.
Now, let’s move towards learning some of the benefits of Zoos.
Benefits of Zoos for Children
Children love to watch animals and all the things that seem fun to them. So, a zoo is something that they are absolutely going to fall in love with!
Let’s check out some of the benefits of a zoo:
- When children see an animal for the first time, they become extremely surprised by the fact that such things exist for real in the world around us. So, having a zoo is something that they are going to love!
- Having a great knowledge of the animals that exist in our society and the world around us, it helps children to develop a greater level of sensitivity for them. They become more responsible towards nature and develop a sense of empathy for the animals and the world around them.
- By seeing the animals in a zoo, children learn to have discipline in their lives that besides the fact that these animals are locked in a cage they are behaving as normally as they would otherwise.
- Zoos help children with the behaviour of different animals and their different habits. Thus, it helps in increasing their basic knowledge about the different animals around them.
Let’s now learn the different educational benefits of Zoos and Aquariums for kids.
Benefits of Zoos and Aquariums
Given below are some of the educational benefits of Zoos and Aquariums:
- The very fact that one gets to learn from Zoos and Aquariums is that “Animals always live happier in their own environment.” Yes, it’s a true fact. Be it animals, human beings, or plants – all of us grow better in our own environment, surrounded by our own species. So, in a way, they help an individual to learn about the sufferings and the inhumane treatment that these species have to suffer every single by the hands of human beings who keep them just for their fun.
- But, if seen, they also help in providing immense support to global conservation through captive breeding and research programs. In a world that is ever-changing and the world is faced with new global challenges every day like climate change and habitat loss, with the help of Zoos and Aquariums, these animals are protected from the dangers that they might have to face otherwise! Thus, it somehow proves to be a boon to our society.
- Another benefit of having Zoos and Aquariums is that they help the animals to survive. With pollution increasing every year, oceans are flooded with tons of polythenes that are extremely harmful to all the sea animals to live with. Thus, by having the opportunity to live inside a zoo or an aquarium helps them to survive peacefully.
Now that we have checked out the different benefits of Zoos and Aquariums, let’s find out some of the educational benefits of Zoos for children.
Educational Benefits of Zoos for Kids
- While walking through the Zoos, children are exposed to different words and concepts that they would not have learned about otherwise. Thus, it helps them to encourage conversations between parents and children.
- Zoos help children to learn about the different animals that exist in the world around them. Thus, it helps them to increase their general knowledge about the various species of animals that exist in this world.
- Visiting a Zoo can help children to increase the bond with their parents. Thus, it teaches and helps to build good familial relationships.
- Zoo helps kids to understand the importance of taking care of the environment. Thus, it helps them to increase their knowledge about the various issues that exist in our society along with encouraging them to take part in the welfare of the society.
The above piece of information will act as a parenting guide for all those new parents who want their kids to excel in life. Have a good look at it to know more about the various benefits of Zoos and Aquariums and to know about how they can be helpful to kids over a long period of time. These places can have a really positive impact on kids all around the world. So, visiting them can be quite helpful for these young toddlers.
Hopefully, you must have found this information useful and if you have any doubts regarding the same, feel free to use the comments section given below to tell us more about it. Share your problems, queries, and questions with us because we’ll be more than happy to help you out through this.
Also, check out our other blogs to have more information on such topics.