Do you remember how you learned alphabets? Or How do you still remember the number series? It is because of the activities you performed in your early childhood. Educational activities for preschoolers leave a lasting impact. The things you learn from them stay with you for your entire life.
Here is a list of some educational activities for preschoolers at home. It will keep your kids active, occupied, and healthy while giving educational benefits.
Fun Educational Activities for Preschoolers
Educational activities for preschoolers at home are not only for reading or gaining knowledge. It is more than that. It should give kids a wholesome benefit. Here is a list of activities that will not only give kids learning power but also the power to understand, acquire, and react.
Kick the Alphabet cups
It is one of the most fun educational activities for preschoolers. You need the following materials for it:
- Paper cups
- A small-sized ball
- A marker or a pen
With these easy-to-find materials, you can enjoy this activity with your kids. The steps are:
- Mark each cup with different alphabets. Then put each cup separately on a table. Make sure there is sufficient distance between each of them.
- Then name an alphabet and ask your kid to kick the cup with that alphabet written on it by using the ball.
- You can also reverse the game. Let your kid throw the ball on any of the cups. Then ask them the alphabet written on that cup.
Once your kid becomes quick with this, add a twist. Along with asking the alphabet written on it, ask the alphabet next to it. You can also ask for a thing that starts with that alphabet. It is a fun way to memorize alphabet series. You can also use it for number series.
Watch the Rainbow
This easy activity for the nursery is as colourful as it sounds. You need the following materials for this activity:
- A printed rainbow ( Try to find a huge rainbow sticker with clear colour differentiation)
- Some colourful sticky notes
- A pen or a marker
You will find all these materials in your nearby stationary shop. If the rainbow is not available there, you can also get it printed from a cyber cafe. The steps for these activities are:
- Keep the rainbow on the table. You can also stick it to a wall.
- Then mark the colourful sticky notes with different alphabets.
- Name an alphabet. Ask your kid to find the sticker note marked with that alphabet.
- Then ask them to recognize the colour of that sticker and try to find a similar colour in the rainbow.
- When they find a similar colour, ask them to stick it to that part of the rainbow.
They learn alphabets and colour discrimination. Also, when they hold and stick the notes, their fine motor skills develop.
Jump! Jump! Jump!
Sounds fun? It is. The materials required in these physical educational activities for preschoolers are so nominal that you can try them right away. They are:
- Pillows ( try to take all the pillows available in your house)
- Paper plates ( equal to the number of pillows)
- Packing tape
- Marker or a Pen
The activity requires space. So, try to find a place where there are minimum obstacles. The steps are:
- Mark the paper cups with different numbers. Make sure that you write broad numbers so that your kid can see them from a distance.
- Now with the help of packing tape, attach each plate with different pillows.
- Find a free area. Then place the pillows at small distances from each other.
- Ask your kid to jump on each pillow. Then ask them to name the number on that pillow.
To make it more challenging for kids, you can ask different things related to that number. As kids jump from one place to another, their balance, hand-eye coordination, and reflexes develop. However, stay careful while performing it. Avoid leaving kids alone. Make sure the space between pillows is small. So, the kids can jump without slipping.
Throw the Snowball
No, you do not need an actual snowball to perform this activity. You can easily find the material at your home. They are:
- Ping Pong ball or any small-sized ball
- Pen or a Marker
The steps to perform this activity are:
- With the help of a pen or marker, write different alphabets on the small papers.
- Stick each paper with the help of tape to a wall. In case, you don’t want to use tapes on your wall, you can pin paper with drawing pins on cardboard.
- Then call different sounds and ask your kids to throw the ball on the alphabet with a similar sound. For example, if you call out the ‘baa’ sound, the kid will throw the ball of the alphabet ‘B’.
Through this easy activity for nursery, kids learn to differentiate between sounds. As they will throw balls, their coordination will also improve.
Dip the Fingerprint
If your kid is a paint lover, they would love this activity. It will develop their cursive writing skill. The materials required for this activity are:
- A4 Size sheets
- A marker
- Painting colours
The steps involved in this activity are:
- On the A4 sheet paper, make an alphabet or number. Do not try to adjust more than two characters on a single sheet.
- Then ask your kid to dip their thumb or index finger in the paintbox. They can either use one or more colours for one alphabet.
- Then ask him/her to print little fingers on the sheet matching the lines of the alphabet or the number.
While performing this activity, keep these points in mind:
- Your kid might put their finger dip in paint colours in their mouth or eyes. Therefore, choose child-friendly colours.
- If you want their handwriting to look good, draw cursive alphabets.
Kids will enjoy this activity a lot. To avoid using a lot of paper, you can also use a reusable colour board. Through this activity, kids will learn to write within a boundary.
So, this was the list. All these fun educational activities for preschoolers focus on basic learning skills.
Learning skills makes the base. Kids can learn the theory part after they join schools. Initially, they should develop motor skills, thinking capacity, reflex action, etc. It will ultimately boost their academic performance. Educational activities for preschoolers at home will help you in this.