In childhood, learning soft skills or motor skills is as significant as learning alphabets or numbers. Art and crafts are some of the best ways to introduce motor skills in your kid’s life. When it comes to clay art, kids also develop creativity. Clay arts for kids play a significant role in the cognitive development of kids.
However, some parents are not well aware of the equipment kids require for clay art. They also fail to help kids in it due to a lack of ideas. If you face a similar situation, then this article is for you. Through this article, you will learn some basic clay arts for kids and a list of clay items for kids.
How to Make Clay Arts for Kids?
It might sound tough but shaping clay and decorating them with colours is a fun and easy task. All you need is clay items for kids and some ideas to make clay art. So, if you have some clay for kids art at your home, bring it and begin making beautiful shapes.
Here is some basic clay art for kids with a list of required materials.
A Clay Caterpillar
Let your kids enjoy clay art with one of the easiest things to make, a caterpillar. Here is a step to step guide for this clay art for kids.
- A plain white sheet
- Crayons or pencil colours
- Clay of different colours
Once you collect all these clay items for kids, follow the following steps.
Step to Make a Clay Caterpillar
- Take the white sheet to ask kids to draw a leaf on it. The leaf should be of medium size.
- Then ask them to colour the leaf with a green crayon.
- Pick the green colour clay and show them the way to make small balls for the caterpillar’s body. Ask kids to make similar balls from green and brown colour clay.
- Then ask kids to attach each ball with consecutive balls of a different colour.
- Take black colour clay and make small round eyes from them. Ask kids to stick their eyes on the first ball. Then make a smile out of black clay to complete the face of the caterpillar.
- For an antenna, ask kids to make sticks from orange colour balls. Do not forget to add red clay at the tip of the antenna.
- Put the caterpillar on the leaf in such a way that it looks real.
A beautiful caricature of a caterpillar on a leaf is ready. Kids enjoy this clay art a lot. They love to make a round shape. It is one of the most interesting clay arts for kids.
Kids love to eat ice cream. So, they will love to make miniatures of ice cream with clay. If you do not know the way, do not worry. Here is a step to step guide. First of all, here are the required clay items for kids.
- Clay of different colours
- Ice-cream sticks
- Collect all these materials and get ready for these basic clay arts for kids.
- Steps to Make Ice-Cream From Clay
You can make two types of ice-creams from clay. One is cone ice cream and the other one is ice-cream sticks. Following are the steps to make both types starting from cone ice cream.
Steps to Make Ice-Cream
- Take a brown colour clay and make a thin square shape from it. Then roll the shape to get a cone. With the help of any scale, you can make checks on the cone. For a better look, make checks on the square and then roll it to make a cone.
- Then take a pink, green, white, or blue colour clay. Then make a ball out of it ( larger than the opening of your cone).
- Put the ball above the cone-like you see in ice-creams.
- Your cone ice cream is ready. To make it more attractive you can also place two three balls of different colours one above the other. Now, see the steps to make ice-cream sticks.
- Take a small piece of clay ( you can choose any colour but try to take bright ones) and give it the shape of a bar.
- Then at the bottom of the bar, attach the ice cream stick.
Your ice cream is ready. To enhance its look you can take white clay and make a broad thread from it. Then place it on the bar in a curve shape. Kids love to have fun with this clay for kids art.
Diwali is near. Most people purchase diyas from stores. However, you can also make beautiful diyas at home. Kids will enjoy this Diwali activity a lot. Here is how to perform these clay arts for kids.
- Colourful clay
- Paint colours and other decorating items
Steps to Make a Clay Diya
- Take clay ( you can take the colour of your choice). Then make a big ball out of it.
- Then begin pressing it from the middle. However, make sure the sides stay round.
- Slowly you will see the shape of the Diya. Once you get that perfect shape, fold the round edge slightly to get the conical shape.
- Finally, decorate the diyas with pearls, small pieces of glass, etc.
- To use this diya on Diwali, purchase a clay that gets completely dry. Also, fill the diya with wax after placing a thread in it. Once you are done, decorate all the diyas on a plate, and light them. It will look amazing.
So, now you have got the answers to how to make clay arts for kids.
Making art from clay is not a new concept. In early times, people used to make pots, kettles, and other beautiful shapes from clay soil. Now, you can purchase readymade clay and enjoy clay art with your kids.